I get that cleaning the house might seem like an odd topic for a father’s day gift, but hear me out.
As a family man with two wonderful children and a wife who I’m lucky enough to also call my business partner, I, like many dad’s today, spend time doing household tasks. Alicia and I share everything 50/50 which means a lot of my time goes towards household chores. On any given day you could expect to see me washing dishes, doing the laundry, cleaning the car etc.
So on father’s day I really appreciate it when the kids have taken the time to help out rather than getting me the customary beard trimmers, leather wallets or chocolate. After all, how many leather wallets do we really go through from year to year? What I value most is the time they give me to relax and enjoy myself.
So, if you’ve landed on this page looking for a great gift for your dad, let me give you a few tips and methods to clean our house and help your dad out - just like my kids do for me - AND they’ll all be eco-friendly ideas as another big plus.
CLEANING THE GRILL
Most dad’s love their BBQs (indoor or outdoor)! I know I do. I take pride in a clean grill when we have guests over but more importantly, I like a clean grill because it’s healthier for my family.
- A warm grill is WAY easier to clean than a cold grill, but be careful. I heat up our grill and let it cool down a bit before cleaning as it’s much safer and you’ll avoid accidental burns.
- Onions can be magical. If you have bits of food stuck to your grill, it might surprise you to learn about this trick. If you slice a large onion in half and rub the flat sides up and down the metal, you’ll find a lot of the dirt loosens and comes off. Trust me, give it a go - it requires a lot less elbow grease than some other methods.
- Soaking is your friend. If your grates are removable, take them out and soak them in a large tub of water with a slash of dish soap (the bathtub tends to be a great idea here).
- Try this Natural Oven and Stove Top Cleaning Kit. This is my go-to process (and the kids’ when they’re helping out) for cleaning our grills. I love creating new products, but sometimes a little creativity with our existing ones does the trick. I discovered that if I sprayed Natural Kitchen Cleaner, sprinkled on some Scouring Powder, and let them sit on the grill for 10 minutes I could then wipe away grease and dirt easily with a microfibre cloth. It’s a really effective clean, and you won’t be breathing in any harsh chemicals like the traditional oven cleaners.
CLEANING THE COMPUTER OR LAPTOP
We’re in a remote world now, and your dad is part of that. His computer or laptop will be key to his work and perhaps even more key to his hobbies if he’s a fan of online gaming!
It can be tricky cleaning a computer without leaving streaks on the screen and I think we can agree that your dad might not thank you for leaving the computer in a worse state than you found it.
So let’s walk through the best way to give a computer/ laptop a thorough and effective clean.
- Start by turning it off. Simple.
- For computers, you can turn over the keyboard and gently shake it to remove crumbs and dirt.
- Next, clean the keyboard and mouse with a microfiber cloth which you’ve sprayed with some All-Purpose Cleaner. Top Tip: Never spray anything directly onto a computer or laptop as this could damage it.
- When you’re cleaning the monitor or screen, this is where you need to be careful not to leave streaks. When I’m cleaning I use our Natural Glass Cleaner & Microfiber Cloth Kit - it’s so easy to use and incredibly hard to leave streaks behind with it. We’re super proud of this product and particularly as it won ‘Best Glass Cleaner’ by Parents Magazine. If you do give it a go, let us know what you think!
CLEANING GYM CLOTHES
I like being active, it’s one of my biggest passions in life. Whether it’s at the gym, or hiking in the mountains, I like to be fresh and ready for the fun. However, as you can probably guess, it can be tough cleaning gym clothes because of the sweat left behind and a little more difficult if you add mud and stains from the outdoors.
This is where my inspiration for our came from. Alicia and I didn’t like the thought of having to use harsh chemicals to achieve the thorough clean that these types of clothes require. So I set to work experimenting with different natural ingredients and finally came up with an excellent alternative to the traditional cleaners on the market.
The detergent we created works at all water temperatures (bye-bye global warming) and all washing machine types - including high efficiency (HE) machines. We’ve also crafted it as a concentrated liquid, making it go further so you’ll get a whopping 64 loads out of just one of our bottles.
But the big test is whether it cleans and leaves your clothes smelling great. IT ABSOLUTELY DOES. We’ve hand-picked and tested our ingredients to make sure they get out the toughest stains while leaving you smelling and feeling fresh... Can you tell I’m really proud of this product yet?
What if you want to take things to the next level and do more than a load of laundry? If you want to go above and beyond for your dad, you could clean his gym equipment as well as his clothes. Some all-purpose cleaner will do the trick here - it works on any washable surface, just spray and wipe away the dirt with a matching microfiber cloth.
CLEANING THE CAR
My kids work well as a duo for the car cleaning. They know how much I love our Toyota SUV so it means a lot to me that they take the time to clean it properly and carefully.
I’m going to save you some time and money with this next part. Your dad will appreciate both I’m sure. You’ll find superstores and auto shops can be full of products for cleaning your car, but all you really need can be found in your everyday cleaning supplies. So save yourself a trip to the shops, and save yourself a lot of money.
- The kids start by removing all the rubbish (there’s always some friendly debate as to who is responsible for the lion's share), and taking out the floor mats - which get put back after the interior is cleaned.
- Next comes the vacuuming to remove all the loose dirt and smaller bits and pieces they couldn’t grab with the rubbish. A tip from me is to make sure you vacuum the floors but also the seats and anything with upholstery on it. It’s easy to forget just how many places dust and dirt can accumulate in a car.
- Once you’re done vacuuming, this is when the soapy stuff comes into play. We have a big bucket which the kids will fill with water and add some dish soap or all-in-one concentrate to. They then get a cloth and use the solution to wipe the inside of the car first, then the outside (this order greatly reduces the number of clothes needed in total). Make sure you get everything including the dashboard and the steering wheel. For any tougher stains, give them a squirt with some all-purpose cleaner to help break them down.
- The last stage is cleaning the windows. Always a nerve-racking one because the amount of dirt that piles up on the outside is prime streak material. For this, you can use the same cleaning set as I talked about for the computer/ laptop cleaning our Natural Glass Cleaner & Microfiber Cloth Kit.
Those are 4 ways you can help your Dad out this Father’s Day by taking some of his household chores and giving him the time he deserves to kick back and relax.
Have you experienced the benefits of a professionally cleaned house? There are times when you simply don’t have the time or willpower to start cleaning every area of your home. So why not get AspenClean in and give Dad’s house a much-needed service from one of our professional cleaning teams? Here are just some of the reasons why you should book a house cleaning:
- Professionally-trained teams
- All equipment and cleaning products provided
- A Team of 3 cleaners for faster, more efficient cleaning
- An all-natural clean for a fresh and healthy home
The result is a sparkling clean house for Dad to enjoy!
You can also give him a gift certificate for an all-natural home cleaning. Your father will be able to enjoy all the benefits outlined above, at a time and date that suits him.